"Search for the Lord and for His strength; continually seek Him." I Chronicles 16:11

Monday, February 28, 2011

Getting Sick



Amazingly, I have done really well, as far as staying well during our time here in Thailand. I was ill and down for 1/2 a day with a fever and cough, but was then able to carry on with the various tasks I needed to do even though I still had a cough for a week or so. But now when I need my voice more than at any other time, I am loosing it! I began feeling a sore throat a couple days ago and began treating it with all the arsonal of fighting herbs we brought with us, but unfortunately, I’m afraid I’m loosing the battle. This coming Sabbath evening I am scheduled to present the Truth 4 Youth talk on Health and had some ideas on some different demo’s and ways of helping the young people catch the importance of wanting to live as Daniel did. Also, I was asked to be the narrator for the promotional DVD that is being filmed this week here at Sunshine Orchard to help bring awareness on the critical need we have in raising funds. 
These funds are the money needed to pay the first 1/2 of the total sum which would allow us to actually occupy the property we have been praying about across the road from the already owned 6 acre piece. Once we can occupy we can begin to building and complete the various projects that need to be completed before the new year begins. This new year will be quite different from previous years with the beginning implementation of the vocational training program and all that that will entail. The deadline for this first 1/2 of the total is due next month! We believe God will supply as he has promised in II Corinthians 9:8, “And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others.” NLT
Will, teaching Chai Htoo in word working
So why am I getting sick right at this very time when I need my voice more than ever? Maybe the young man who is volunteering here for the past 2 months who is very health conscious, is better suited to present since he is still a “youth”, where I am only a youth want to be. I have always loved to work on helping myself and my family be healthier, and I love teaching it is so much fun to help people understand something they never understood before. But I am not young anymore, younger ones will probably have more influence over what is presented then someone my age! I know there are others who can narrate the DVD. I was very excited to be able to do something behind the scenes and yet be a blessing, but I’m not that good with words so others who are better can take it and make it more descriptive. So I have had to give both of these looked forward to things to the Lord and know that if I broke health principles in any way that illness is only a consquence. If it is because I have gotten overly tired then it is time for me to rest so I can get well. All in all, I am hoping that I don’t start feeling really bad, but that I will just have a softer voice for awhile.
I had just recently begun to make a habit of drinking much more water than what I had previously and to walk every morning after morning worship. Miles goes with me at times which I really enjoy, as it gives us a chance to connect and talk. Even though we live just a few huts apart, we see very little of each other with our busy schedules. But if Miles can’t go I usually just go myself. I try to walk to the next little village north of us Mae Salit Noi, a bamboo village on the Thai side of the border river. I don’t always make it that far though. 
Girls waiting for their tea
One would think that since I am drinking more water and walking consistanlty that I would be healthier, but I have been taking care of many sick little girls every morning and night. The Nafie girls gather these little coughing ones and brings them to the Adams house where I have been making various blends of herbal teas to which I add, lime juice (we are located in a lime orchard so no shortage of limes), fresh garlic and vitamin C powder. First one of us distributes a few pills, such as garlic, grape fruit seed extract and olive leaf. Then they are given their tea which we water down a bit to get more water into them (the Karen do not like to drink water. Some beileve that it is unhealthy and even bad for them.), then someone gives them a drop of Oil of Oreganol  and finally they get 1/2 a dropper of children’s echinacha/golden seal. We have already run out of the vitamin C tablets that we brought, but I’ve been filling in with vitamin C powder we brought along. I hope we have enough to get these 15 or 16 little girls well and sleeping through the night again before we run out of what we are using and before we leave. 
Jennison giving Jaw Day Paw Oil of Organo Drops
I think the girls think it is quite an adventure drinking all this bitter herbs and taking all these strange “medicines”, but they do it and seem to find it overall quite amusing. I really appreciate Marianne and Jennison bringing them up morning and night and helping to dispense what we give them. Lexi helps each time too, and Laren and Anna have both helped at times to squeeze the limes. Josiah and Davis go lime hunting as we need to resupply. It takes quite a team to keep these little ones well or return them to health. It is such a joy to be a part of this work. I am really hoping to take care of my ankle issue and see how God leads us in the future. There is so much work to do throughout the world, lonely people, sick ones, anxious ones, fatherless children, divorced children, etc, etc. I know many love vists, encouragment, to be prayed with or just knowing they have someone they can call on. It doesn’t matter where God has us just that we are faithful where we are. 
Hope you are staying healthy where you are and that you are a warm spot of encouragement and cheer to those around you where ever you are and wherever you go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment